Prophecysound Systems has introduced its Pi-Phase mk2 phase shifter, a compact and all-analog reproduction of the original Seventies classic Mu-Tron Bi-Phase.
From the company's press release:
Suitable for guitar, bass, keyboards or outboard studio processing, the Pi-Phase mk2 phase shifter is built entirely in Adelaide, South Australia, utilizing “best of breed” manufacturers and suppliers, along with decades of in-house expertise.
Compact in size (50mm H x 188mm W x 122mm D), the Pi-Phase mk2 makes authentic phase sounds available to the working musician or producer, with a warm liquid tone that is instantly recognizable from a range of classic recordings.
● Two independently switchable phase sections, two LFOs, and a flexible architecture that allows serial (mono) or parallel (stereo) operation
● Support for external expression or CV control of LFO rate or wah-like phase sweep
● True-bypass operation + LED indicators for each channel
● A compact and robust powder-coated enclosure and industrial-strength polycarbonate labels for looks that will resist the worst live gigs have to offer
● External AC 15-volt adapter (not supplied) operation, enabling retention of the internal high-headroom design of the original
● Includes miniature reproductions of the original unit’s program cards and blank program cards for recording of user settings
“We believe the Pi-Phase mk2 is as close a reproduction of the original Mu-Tron Bi-Phase it’s possible to build,” said Mike Both, Prophecysound Systems designer/director. “While we employ modern surface-mount technology for most of the pedal, the all important LED/opto-coupler section of the design utilizes ‘old-school’ through-hole components. The result is a wonderfully rich and warm sound outside of the capabilities of software and plugins, at a price point that allows musicians to finally have ‘that’ sound on their pedal boards.”
The all-important final stages of assembly of the Pi-Phase mk2 are done by hand, and final calibration is performed according to the original technical specifications.
The Pi-Phase mk2 is available for AUD599 (+ 10% GST within Australia)—about $472 U.S.—and is sold worldwide directly through the Prophecysound Systems site and through authorized Prophecysound Systems dealers. For an up-to-date list of international dealers, please visit prophecysound.com/dealers.