Japanese effects innovators Boss have just announced the release of two cutting edge pedals for guitarists. The new IR-200 Amp & IR Cabinet (amp and impulse response/cab simulator) and SY-200 Synthesizer join Boss’s 200 series effects pedal range which also currently comprises the DD-200 Digital Delay, EQ-200 Graphic Equalizer, MD-200 Modulation, and OD-200 Hybrid Drive.
Boss’s 200 series SY-200 Synthesizer takes their popular SY-1 Synthesizer compact pedal into the future with even more analog synth-inspired sounds and 128 memory slots. An expanded array of real-time tone sculpting possibilities has been made available including two onboard footswitches plus external footswitch, expression pedal and MIDI options.
Here’s a brief rundown of the SY-200’s features and specs…
- 171 total sounds
- 12 analog-style synth categories including Lead, Pad, String, and Organ
- 3 adjustable parameters per sound
- Requires no instrument modification or pickup change
- Latency free
- Blend wet/synth and dry/guitar signals using independent level controls
- Parallel send/return loop
- Supports up to two external footswitches or expression pedal
- Full MIDI I/O (3.5 mm TRS jacks)
- Micro USB jack for firmware updates
IR-200 Amp & IR Cabinet
With performance, recording, and practice in mind Boss promises the IR-200 to be “the most advanced compact amp/IR solution available.” And with the DSP-based electric guitar pedal market going from strength to strength in recent years we’re expecting great things from this unit.
Here’s a brief rundown of the IR-200’s features and specs…
- 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating-point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate (for comparison, CDs are 16-bit/44.1 kHz)
- Cabinet library features 144 Boss and 10 Celestion Digital impulse responses (IRs)
- 128 user IR slots (mono and stereo WAV files supported)
- 128 user setup memories with dual EQs
- Two global EQs (parametric or graphic)
- Run two IRs simultaneously in mono or stereo
- 8 guitar and 3 bass amp types
- USB audio interface for recording & playback with music software on Mac/iOS/Windows
- Supports control via footswitches, expression pedal, and TRS MIDI
- Bespoke software enables easy IR and backup management
Click here for more information on the IR-200.
Click here for more information on the SY-200.
Rod Brakes is a music writer with an expertise in all things guitar-related. Having spent many years at the coalface as a guitar dealer and tech, Rod's more recent work as a journalist covering artists, industry pros, and gear includes writing hundreds of articles and features for the likes of Guitarist magazine, MusicRadar, and Guitar World, as well as contributions for specialist books and blogs. He is also a lifelong musician.
Get the latest news, reviews and product advice straight to your inbox.
Thank you for signing up to The Pick. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.