Happy birthday to Billy Duffy of the Cult.
When the Cult's 1984 debut album, Dreamtime (opens in new tab), was released in England, the group piqued interest with its Goth-tinged sound and Duffy's trippy guitar textures.
However, it was 1985's Love (opens in new tab), and the track "She Sells Sanctuary," that really put the Cult on the map.
Long synonymous with the Gretsch White Falcon, Duffy used the flagship electric guitar on both of these landmark albums.
An instrument of choice for decades, Duffy was honored with his own signature model – the G7593T-BD (opens in new tab) – in 2013.
Touted as a “bionic, younger, better, improved” version of his original Baldwin-era Gretsch White Falcon, this much-lauded signature model was the result of some painstaking R&D.
A Gretsch White Falcon may be an unlikely choice for some players, but Duffy laid down some of the most memorable riffs in hard rock history with his.
“It's difficult to be objective about yourself,” he told Guitar Player back in 2001. “I think being English and growing up with punk rock has instilled the quest to find something musically unusual.
“I like to ride on the verge of experimental sounds. That concept has always held more for me than being able to play every Jimmy Page solo.”
Carrying on their vast musical legacy, Duffy and the Cult are touring North America again this summer.
Tickets for the “We Own the Night” tour go on sale tomorrow, so why not go check out the man, the myth, the Falcon live on stage?
Click here (opens in new tab) to book.
The band’s current schedule is as follows:
- July 8 – St Paul, MN - Palace Theatre *
- July 9 – Milwaukee, WI - US Cellular Stage At Summerfest
- July 10 – Chesterfield, MO - The Factory At The District *
- July 12 – Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre *
- July 14 – Cincinnati, OH - PNC At Riverbend *
- July 15 – Dayton, OH - Rose Music Center at The Heights United States
- July 16 – Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE *
- July 19 – Washington, DC - The Anthem *
- July 20 – New York, NY - The Rooftop at Pier 17 *
- July 22 – Philadelphia, PA - Metropolitan Opera House *
- July 23 – Boston, MA - Leader Bank Pavilion *
- July 24 – New Haven, CT - College Street Music Hall *
- July 26 – Syracuse, NY - Crouse Hinds Theater *
- July 27 – Detroit, MI - Meadowbrook Amphitheatre *
- July 29 – Leamington, ON - Hogs For Hospice Charity Event At Seacliff Park
- July 30 – Rama, ON - Casino Rama
* with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Zola Jesus
Rod Brakes is a music journalist with an expertise in guitars. Having spent many years at the coalface as a guitar dealer and tech, Rod's more recent work as a writer covering artists, industry pros and gear includes contributions for leading publications and websites such as Guitarist, Total Guitar, Guitar World (opens in new tab), Guitar Player (opens in new tab) and MusicRadar (opens in new tab) in addition to specialist music books, blogs and social media. He is also a lifelong musician.
Thank you for signing up to The Pick. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.