Guitar virtuoso Steve Vai was among the guest stars performing at the benefit concert for Tony MacAlpine this past Saturday, December 12. You can watch his performance of “For the Love of God” below.
The benefit concert for MacAlpine and his family took place at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles and featured an all-star line-up that included Vai, Zakk Wylde, Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, Derek Sherinian, John 5, Tom Morello, Nuno Bettencourt and Richie Kotzen. That Metal Show host Eddie Trunk served as master of ceremonies.
Proceeds from the show will benefit MacAlpine, who was diagnosed with colon cancer this past August. His wife was also recently diagnosed with breast cancer.
The benefit included numerous auction items, including instruments donated by these and other artists. Fans can bid by visiting this site through December 19. Auction items include:
• Personal guitars donated by Steve Vai, Kiss, Steve Lukather, Joe Satriani, Steven Stevens, Paul Gilbert, Joe Bonamassa, John Petrucci, Tom Morello, Richie Kotzen, Vinnie Moore, and Jeff Loomis
• Signature snare drums from Simon Phillips, Gregg Bissonette, Mike Portnoy, and Eric Singer
• Signature bass from Billy Sheehan
• Personal bass lessons with Rudy Sarzo
• Stage outfit worn by John 5 on the Rob Zombie tour
• A balcony stateroom and 2 Gold VIP packages from the Axes & Anchors Cruise (February 20–24, 2016)
MacAlpine’s gear manufacturers–Ibanez, Hughes & Kettner, EMG, Ernie Ball, Source Audio, Voodoo Lab, and Xotic Effects–have also generously donated equipment to be raffled off at the show.
Fans who would like to contribute to the cause can also visit the Benefit for Tony GoFundMe page.