Either the classic Guns N’ Roses lineup is getting back together, or we’re all victims of a massive and elaborate joke.
The rumor mill has been running at full tilt for the past month after several people in Guns N’ Roses’ camp suggested the group’s classic lineup will reunite in 2016. Some sources say Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan will be the only members from the group’s glory days getting back together, leaving out Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler and Adler’s 1990 replacement, Matt Sorum.
More fuel was poured on the fire last week courtesy of Guns N’ Roses themselves. Here’s a roundup of the latest developments.
1. Guns N’ Roses Teaser Showing at Theaters Prior to Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Ultimate Classic Rock reported on December 26 that the teaser has been screened nationwide. It shows black-and-white clips of a concert crowd as Axl Rose yells “Here we are!” and “Welcome to the Jungle” plays. The clip, shown below, offers no explanation for its purpose, leaving everyone to draw their own conclusions.
2. Guns N’ Roses’ Web Site Is Now Displaying the Band’s Classic-Era Logo
The logo, which is identified with the classic lineup, is now being displayed on the site’s homepage.
4. Rumors Are Circulating That GN’R Will Appear at Coachella 2016
Word is strong that GN’R will headline the annual music and arts festival. Confirmation should be coming on January 5. If true, that leaves Axl just a few months to get new guitarists for the April show dates…unless, of course, they’re already onboard.
5. Even Epiphone Knows Something Is Up
The company, which produces several Slash signature Les Paul models, jumped into the fray with a post on December 10.
“Is there something going on?” Epiphone.com, asked. “Yes. But what exactly we can’t say yet. Though numerous mags are confirming a 2017 reunion tour (or at least a massive anniversary show), no one from the original line-up is going all-out on record. But you can bet if the web is a-buzz already at the rumor of ‘massive’ stadium shows, something good is in the works and that much we can tell you.”
Add this to:
• Slash’s open summer 2016 schedule: He’ll record a new album in the spring with his band, Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, but the group won’t tour behind it as Kennedy will be at work with his other group, Alter Bridge. That leaves Slash’s summer schedule wide open...
• Comments from Duff McKagan’s wife and her friend,who announced on video, “Guns N’ Roses is coming back, motherfuckers”...
• Leaks from the band’s camp that Slash and Axl have verbally agreed to a reunion...
• Slash’s renewed friendship with Axl,reported last summer...
• The announcement last July that guitarists DJ Asha and Ron “Bumbelfoot” Thal had left the band...
And you can pretty much draw your own conclusion…as long as it involves Axl, Slash and Duff.