It's finally here! On Saturday, April 18, loads of incredible bands and vinyl fans are descending on record stores around the nation to celebrate the 8th annual Record Store Day. There will be in-store shows, parties, record and book signings, meet and greets, and general frivolity all around.
Even if your local record store will not be having a big blow-out band extravaganza, there are a plethora of rare, new releases available. Check out "The List".
Visit the site to find participating record stores near you: http://www.recordstoreday.com/
Here is the list of revelers that the fine Record Store Day crew released:
Record Store Day Ambassador Dave Grohl will be playing with the Foo Fighters at the Record Connection, along with Angela Perley & The Howlin' Moons.
Rough Trade in Brookyln will be hopping with crazy talent:
- The Dresden Dolls will have a reunion
- Kim Gordon will be signing of her acclaimed new book, Girl In A Band
- Sub Pop’s Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires will rock the house with tunes from their latest (2nd) album, Dereconstructed
- Even the Buzzcocks will be there signing of their latest, an RSD special release, The Way, a 7” from last year’s album release of the same name b/w the previously unissued on vinyl Generation SuicideThe newest Daptone signing, Saun & Starr, who provided backing vox on Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings latest RSD special, will play a set at the store, as well
SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Radiohead’s Philip Selway will do a set at Amoeba Records, along with DJ sets from Boombostic, Kells Bells, DJ Primo, OkieOran, Beerzbub and Russell Quan.
Amoeba Hollywood will host one amazing DJ after another either with a boast-worthy lineup including:
- Rick Ross (Delicious Vinyl)
- TV On The Radio’s Dave Sitek
- Dub Club DJ Boss Harmony and more!
Live performances at Amoeba will include:
- Mike Watt + The Secondmen (plus a signing)
- EV Kain (who will do the same)
- Art/Caricature installation by members of the aforementioned TVOTR
- Full playbacks of the Sun Records curated by RSD LP and Fool’s Gold Flying Lessons LP
All Time Low, who have a #1 album in both the US and the UK this week will meet fans and do a signing of Future Hearts in Raleigh, North Carolina at Schoolkids.
Just down the street and around the block at Raleigh’s Schoolkids, Dom Flemons, founding member of Carolina Chocolate Drops, will be playing a set in support of his special Record Store Day release, What Got Over (10” vinyl).
Merge Records celebrates RSD at Bull City Records in their hometown of Durham, NC with a full day’s agenda of said label’s much-loved artists, including performances by indie darlins’/supergroup, Ex Hex, label co-founder/Superchunk/Portastatic mainman, Mac McCaughan and William Tyler (Lambchop, Silver Jews, etc…).
The amazing Damien Rice performs at Denver’s longstanding outpost, Twist and Shout, Jason Isbell does his thing at Horizon Records in Greenville, SC and the legendary Todd Rundgren graces Little Rock’s Arkansas Record and CD Exchange.
Grimey’s in Nashville presents Big Day performances from Those Darlins and The Lees of Memory, both of whom have special RSD releases, along with not-to-be-missed sets from Turbo Fruits, Halestorm, Kitty Daisy & Lewis, and Jonathan Jackson + Enation, from TV’s Nashville.
Dawes will pop in for a set at Portland, OR’s beloved Music Millennium with Dead Moon and head west on Burnside to Everyday Music for DJ sets from Laura Viers and Tucker Martine, Steve Turner from Mudhoney and an evening rock set by The Dandy Warhols followed by the Dandys doing a DJ set, as well.
Local H and The Sea and Cake will rock Chicago’s Reckless Records with in-store shows, while Robert Trujillo will pop in for a signing.
Asylum Records in Mesa, AZ hosts a special set by Gwar.
Morbid Angel will also mingle with fans at Waterloo in Austin, TX.
Good Records in Dallas will see performances from the ubiquitous OKGO, as well as from Steve Earle, who is set to release a 10” on New West, an RSD exclusive, Terraplane, inspired by Robert Johnson’s Terraplane Blues and featuring both Earle’s and Johnson’s version of the song. Revered songwriter, Chris Stapleton will also rock the store in support of his RSD release, In Stereo, (Limited Run/Regional Focus) on 10”.