Shure Incorporated today announced its partnership with Guitar Center, the world's largest retailer of musical instruments and equipment, on Guitar Center Singer-Songwriter, an artist discovery program that will find the nation’s best unsigned singer-songwriter. Shure is helping Guitar Center continue its commitment to unsigned artists, contributing to the career-altering prize package one unsigned artist will win. The prize package includes recording three songs with accomplished GRAMMY Award winning Producer John Shanks, whose resume boasts 60 million records sold, 43 No. 1 singles, and 67 No. 1 albums with artists including Colbie Caillat, Kelly Clarkson, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge, Bon Jovi, Alanis Morissette, and Keith Urban. Artists can sign up today at www.guitarcenter.com/songwriter. The prize includes:
• Three-song EP with GRAMMY Award winning Producer John Shanks
• $10,000 in cash
• Studio time at Converse Rubber Tracks studio in New York City
• A Shure prize package that includes a variety of microphones and headphones
• Worldwide distribution from TuneCore, including free album, music video, and global songwriting service
“Often the only thing standing between a great artist and their dreams is an opportunity,” says Dustin Hinz, director of music and entertainment marketing at Guitar Center. “Guitar Center Singer-Songwriter is another way we continue to deliver on our ongoing commitment of providing unsigned artists with opportunities they need to be discovered.”
Terri Hartman, Director of Marketing Communications for Shure Americas, adds, “The right gear is essential to every level of musician—from established pros to emerging artists just starting their careers. Partnering with Guitar Center and supporting its program is one way we can keep today’s breakout talent motivated to pursue their dreams and help one of them succeed in this highly-competitive industry.”
Shanks says, “I’m thrilled to be able to help Guitar Center give a potentially career-altering opportunity to an unsigned artist. Helping an artist hone their sound is something I relish as a producer, and I can’t wait to see what the winner has to offer.” The winner will have the incredible opportunity of working with Shanks. His multiple GRAMMY wins, millions of records sold, and hundreds of top albums and singles speak to his prowess, and as Sheryl Crow says, “John knows how to make stuff sound like it belongs on the radio.”
Guitar Center has commissioned WHOOZNXT.com, a leading digital music company, to power the first round of the competition. WHOOZNXT.com is the first platform to track an artist's fan growth across top social networks and music portals. Competing artists will be ranked based on their online fan growth during the first round. Ten singer-songwriters will then be hand selected by Shanks from the list of top ranked artists to travel to Los Angeles, where they will perform live during the event’s finale.
Guitar Center’s commitment to unsigned artists runs deep with a full calendar year of programs aimed at providing musicians with the opportunity and exposure they need to be successful. In addition to Guitar Center Singer-Songwriter, these include:
• Guitar Center On-Stage is an annual competition that provides unsigned artists a chance to open for established artists such as Motley Crue, KISS, and Jane’s Addiction.
• Guitar Center Presents Your Next Record provides emerging artists with the chance to win the ultimate career-altering opportunity and record their music with legendary artists. Unsigned band Twin Berlin was recently selected to record an EP with Travis Barker, and have him write, record, and perform on their single. Past Your Next Record competitions have featured Slash and Keith Urban.
• Guitar Center's King of the Blues is a nationwide amateur guitar skills competition with the goal of finding the next great undiscovered blues guitar player. This year’s winner, Jonathon “Boogie” Long, performed alongside GRAMMY winning guitarist Warren Haynes at the Grand Finals in Los Angeles and won an incredible prize package valued at more than $50,000.
• Guitar Center’s Drum-Off, entering its 23rd year, is the nationwide search for the next great undiscovered drummer. Drummers from across the nation compete in the world’s largest drum competition, vying for thousands of dollars in prizes and the coveted title of Guitar Center’s Drum-Off Champion. The grand prize package is valued at almost $50,000.