This union marks the first time Hart has joined an existing act to create a new unit. Of the venture he explains, "Hydra is about extreme music. Extreme music for extreme people. I need it!" Equally as excited about the collaboration, the members of Particle explain, "Hydra's sound is a departure from anything we've ever done before. It's a whole new breed of sonic exploration." Concertgoers can expect to hear original material such as "Heart Of The Hydra," "Creature of Comfort" and "The Glow," as well as a sampling of Particle songs, and a dose from Hart's catalogue, including the possibility of fresh takes on Grateful Dead classics.
Mickey Hart is a Grammy award winner and a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee. His near 40 years with the Dead plus myriad of world music projects have brought a heightened awareness to the role of the drum in global cultures. As half the percussion tandem known as the Rhythm Devils, Mickey transcended the conventions of rock drumming. Particle has enjoyed a whirlwind career trajectory since forming in 2000. The instrumental quartet's signature "funktronic" blend has earned them a core audience of adventurous music fans dubbed "Particle People." Highlight performances include Coachella, Bonnaroo, Burning Man,Austin City Limits Festival, and recent shows in Japan and Europe. Particle was recently hailed as one of pop's "New Faces" by Rolling Stone and their debut album Launchpad garnered critical praise and was named one of 2004's Top Ten Records by the Associated Press.
Tour dates and venues as follows:
For more information and MP3s, log on to www.hydra-music.com.
- April 7 Santa Cruz, CA-Catalyst
- April 8 San Francisco, CA-The Fillmore
- April 9 San Diego, CA-4th & B
- April 10 Los Angeles, CA-Henry Fonda Theatre
- April 12 Denver, CO-Paramount Theatre
- April 14 Minneapolis, MN-Quest
- April 15 Milwaukee, WI-The Rave
- April 16 Chicago, IL-Vic Theatre
- April 17 St. Louis, MO-Orpheum Theatre
- April 19 Covington, KY-Madison Theatre
- April 21 Worcester, MA-Palladium
- April 22 New York, NY-Roseland Ballroom
- April 23 Philadelphia, PA-Electric Factory
- April 24 Washington, DC-9:30 Club