There are some important points to understand concerning this process:
1. The screening involves a blood test only. It can be done very quickly either at a marrow donation center or at a local lab. The cost is anywhere from $40 to $75 and your insurance may cover it. (In NYC, you can call Frazier, at the NY Blood Bank, at 212-570-3441, and make an appointment for HLA typing. It costs $40.00.) Check with your local blood bank, or go to http://www.marrow.org to find the donor center nearest you.
2. Your blood typing information can be posted on the international registry, if you choose, where it would also be available to others in need of a transplant. BEING ON THE REGISTRY DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO DONATE, it just means that you may be ASKED to do so. You can take your name off the registry at any time.
3. Should you be selected as a potential donor for Michael, please understand that there have been tremendous advances in bone marrow transplants and the term itself can be misleading. Bone marrow onation is no more invasive than giving blood. Stem cells are simply arvested from your blood and then transplanted to Michael.
4. A match for Michael would be most likely to come from those of Eastern European Jewish descent. If you or anyone you know are in this category please make a special effort to immediately get tested. Ultimately, you would be doing something not just for Michael, but for so many more who are in a similar situation.
5. If everyone who reads this can motivate friends to get tested, and those friends then get their friends to get tested, there will be a rapidly expanded the pool of potential donors. Michael's family urges everyone to get tested as soon as possible. Any local blood center/Red Cross center can assist in organizing a drive for Michael, although it would be desirable if you can get a large group, e.g. a synagogue, to sponsor it. Should you have any questions about this, please get in touch with Michael's management office at 212.302.9200 or email@example.com.
Michael Brecker is 56 and an internationally renowned jazz musician. As a result of his harmonic innovations, Michael is among the most studied contemporary instrumentalists in music schools throughout the world today. Michael has played on hundreds of albums with artists ranging from Herbie Hancock to James Taylor, from Paul Simon to Frank Zappa to Quincy Jones, Chet Baker and Bruce Springsteen---and on and on. As a leader and co-leader of The Brecker Brothers (with Randy Brecker) and Directions in Music (with Herbie Hancock and Roy Hargrove), Michael has received 11 Grammy Awards, more than any saxophonist, ever. For further information, go to http://www.michaelbrecker.com.
He and his family are grateful and thank you for your support.
Watch Metallica Perform “One” with Lang Lang Live in Beijing
Ashdown Releases Funk Face – Stuart Zender Signature Twin Dynamic Filter Pedal
Bass Player Magazine's Coverage of Winter NAMM 2017
Top Music Gear Picks from Day 1 the 2017 NAMM Show
Pioneer DJ Debuts TORAIZ AS-1 Mono Synth Developed with Dave Smith Instruments
BandLab Technologies Acquires AudioStretch and Releases New Version of the Transcription Power App
Top Keyboard Gear Picks for NAMM 2017, Day 1
Ibanez Celebrates the JEM with 30th Anniversary Model
Watch Nita Straussâ€™ Shred in New Video for â€œPandemoniumâ€
Stevie Ray Vaughan’s 10 Greatest Guitar Moments
Live Video Footage of Metallica Performing "One" with Renowned Pianist Lang Lang
List: 13 Songs Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe
Iron Maiden Announce North American Tour Dates, Ghost to Support
NAMM 2017: Jackson Guitars Releases New Artist Signature Models
NAMM 2017: Gretsch Announces Custom Shop Malcolm Young "Salute" Jet
NAMM 2017: Line 6 Introduces Helix Native Guitar Amp and Effects Modeling Plug-In
Copyright ©2017 by NewBay Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. 28 East 28th Street, 12th floor, New York, NY 10016 T (212) 378-0400 F (212) 378-0470