Dan Erlewine's Mod Squad(8)

June 1, 2007

Fig. 2: Elliot machined away the rough-hewn pickup cavity in order to glue in (using slow-curing epoxy) a plug of alder. The cavity was brutalized for installation of a humbucker, so for reasons of resonance and proper seating of the two “original spec” single-coils (made from scratch by Mod Squadder Erick), we didn’t want wide-open spaces under the pickguard.

Fig. 3: Elliot took care to match the alder plug to the color of the original finish—laying a piece of glass over the body upon which to mix and compare colors—even though the cavity is hidden by the pickguard. It took three weeks for the lacquer to dry rock hard, but, as you can see, the match is crazy good.

Fig. 4: The final wiring job was a headache, as the switches turned out to be bad. We installed new ones.

Keep up-to-date on the latest news
Get our Free Newsletter Here!

COMMENTS

comments powered by Disqus

Reader Poll

Best Distortion Pedal






See results without voting »