(1) As you can see, all the screws protrude above the saddle tops. I decided to grind off enough metal from the bottom of each screw so that the tops will be slightly below the saddles when the bridge-saddle radius is perfectly adjusted.
(2) The look I wanted is shown by these replacement saddles. Fender offers saddle screws in four lengths—14", d", t", and 2"—and the guitar’s neck angle, bridge-saddle height, and neck-pocket depth determines which height-adjusting screws will work best. Most often, a Strat needs 1" screws for both E-string saddles, d" screws for the A- and B-string saddles, and t" screws for the D and G saddles (although, quite often, the D and G saddles use the same size as the A and B strings).
(3) I threaded each screw into a Graph Tech saddle, and adjusted them with a modified Allen wrench (the short “L” was clipped off so I could insert the straight part into a dowel to allow easier turning) to expose just the amount of screw I wanted to remove with my fine-cut mill file (inset).
(4) I used my Dremel tool to bevel each screw slightly to ensure solid contact with the Strat vibrato’s metal base plate. (A flat-bottomed screw usually teeters on a single edge.) I affixed the Dremel’s router base to a piece of scrap wood (inset), and turned the screws clockwise and counter-clockwise against the spinning grindstone. The Graph Tech saddle—held by my modded Allen wrench—made a perfect holding device for this operation.
(5) I maintained the correct action by adjusting the screws until all the strings just touched the underside of my radius gauge. Voila! No sharp ends.
Paul Michel and Spirit Animal Release Epic Video for Single "Big Bad Road Dog"
Tech 21 Introduces 2 New Fly Rigs
Watch Jacob Umansky of Painted In Exile's "House of Cards" Bass Playthrough (VIDEO)
Roland Releases JC-22 Jazz Chorus Guitar Amplifier
BOSS Announces CP-1X Compressor Pedal
Now Shipping: IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
Butch Boswell Wants Every Guitar He Builds to Be a Knockout
Pentatonic Boxes That Donâ€™t Suck
Brian May, Battling â€œPersistent Illness,â€ Scraps 2016 Dates
Viral Video of the Day: Twelve-Year-Old Gojira Fan Jams with Guitarist Joe Duplantier at Soundcheck
Disturbed Premiere Virtual Reality Video for "The Sound of Silence" via LittlStar
Memphis May Fire Premiere Full Album Stream for New Release, 'This Light I Hold'
10 of Hollywoodâ€™s Funniest Guitar Moments
Chemistry Design Werks Unveils Holeyboard Dragonfly Pedalboard
Groovin' with Peter White: Guitarist Talks New Album, Gear and Al Stewart's â€˜Year of the Catâ€™
Copyright ©2016 by NewBay Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. 28 East 28th Street, 12th floor, New York, NY 10016 T (212) 378-0400 F (212) 378-0470