(1) As you can see, all the screws protrude above the saddle tops. I decided to grind off enough metal from the bottom of each screw so that the tops will be slightly below the saddles when the bridge-saddle radius is perfectly adjusted.
(2) The look I wanted is shown by these replacement saddles. Fender offers saddle screws in four lengths—14", d", t", and 2"—and the guitar’s neck angle, bridge-saddle height, and neck-pocket depth determines which height-adjusting screws will work best. Most often, a Strat needs 1" screws for both E-string saddles, d" screws for the A- and B-string saddles, and t" screws for the D and G saddles (although, quite often, the D and G saddles use the same size as the A and B strings).
(3) I threaded each screw into a Graph Tech saddle, and adjusted them with a modified Allen wrench (the short “L” was clipped off so I could insert the straight part into a dowel to allow easier turning) to expose just the amount of screw I wanted to remove with my fine-cut mill file (inset).
(4) I used my Dremel tool to bevel each screw slightly to ensure solid contact with the Strat vibrato’s metal base plate. (A flat-bottomed screw usually teeters on a single edge.) I affixed the Dremel’s router base to a piece of scrap wood (inset), and turned the screws clockwise and counter-clockwise against the spinning grindstone. The Graph Tech saddle—held by my modded Allen wrench—made a perfect holding device for this operation.
(5) I maintained the correct action by adjusting the screws until all the strings just touched the underside of my radius gauge. Voila! No sharp ends.
Watch Metallica Perform “One” with Lang Lang Live in Beijing
Ashdown Releases Funk Face – Stuart Zender Signature Twin Dynamic Filter Pedal
Bass Player Magazine's Coverage of Winter NAMM 2017
Top Music Gear Picks from Day 1 the 2017 NAMM Show
Pioneer DJ Debuts TORAIZ AS-1 Mono Synth Developed with Dave Smith Instruments
BandLab Technologies Acquires AudioStretch and Releases New Version of the Transcription Power App
Top Keyboard Gear Picks for NAMM 2017, Day 1
Ibanez Celebrates the JEM with 30th Anniversary Model
Watch Nita Straussâ€™ Shred in New Video for â€œPandemoniumâ€
Stevie Ray Vaughan’s 10 Greatest Guitar Moments
Hellyeah Premiere New Music Video, "Love Falls"
Thy Art Is Murder Announce the Return of Vocalist C.J. McMahon, Premiere New Single, "No Absolution"
Falling In Reverse Premiere New Song, "Loser," Announce New Album Details
Jeff Beck and Duane Eddy Honor Cliff Gallup's Legendary Flash at Gretsch NAMM Event
Pat Metheny's Enigmatic Acoustic Work
Tony Iommi Plays Black Sabbath's â€œPlanet Caravanâ€ on Acoustic Guitar
Copyright ©2017 by NewBay Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. 28 East 28th Street, 12th floor, New York, NY 10016 T (212) 378-0400 F (212) 378-0470