Fans can vote for the Jammys at www.jammys.com. "Like the scene that it celebrates the Jammys is a true grassroots event. Ever since Year One, the awards have been voted upon by the discerning ears of the fans," explains the event's co-founder, Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Jambands.com and senior editor of Relix, who has overseen the nomination process since the outset.
The diverse slate of nominees includes such artists as the Beastie Boys (Studio Album of the Year), Neil Young (Archival Album of the Year) and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings (Studio Album of the Year), as well as such staples as Widespread Panic, moe., North Mississippi Allstars and the Allman Brothers Band all of whom received multiple nominations.
The show's co-hosts are nominated: Grace Potter in the song category ("Ah Mary") and Warren Haynes with Gov't Mule in the Live Performance of the year category. Haynes and Potter also received a collective nomination for Tour of the Year (Gov't Mule and Grace Potter and the Nocturnals on the Mighty High Tour).
A complete list of the nominations is below.
Produced by Relix Magazine, Jambands.com, and Peter Shapiro, The Jammys has become one of New York City’s premiere events and one of the top grassroots music events in the world, hosting countless historic musical moments, and drawing international acclaim for pairing the stars of the improvisational music scene with leading artists from across the musical spectrum.
This year’s ceremony and all-star concert will mark the seventh installment of The Jammys, and will feature a special Lifetime Achievement Award presentation to jamband giant * Phish *. The performers for this year’s concert will be announced in the coming weeks.
Taylor Guitars, the innovative world-leading guitar manufacturer, is a 7th Jammy Award sponsor, and is making a personalized statement in support of live music with its own unique contribution to the festivities: each Jammy award will feature the actual neck of a Taylor guitar!
eMusic, the world’s largest retailer of independent music, has signed on as a sponsor of the 7th Jammy Awards, and will be the presenter of the eMusic Download of the Year award. "The Jammys celebrates some of today's most vital and creative music," said Rob Wetstone, eMusic VP of Label Relations. "We're proud to support the awards for another year and acknowledge the independent spirit of live music."
THE 2008 JAMMY AWARD NOMINEES:
Live Performance of the Year
1. Gov't Mule with John Paul Jones, Bob Weir, Michael Franti, Jorma
Kaukonen, Jack Cassady and Luther Dickinson, Bonnaroo Music Festival,
2. Led Zeppelin, O2 Arena, London, 12/10/07
3. Phil Lesh & Friends with Trey Anastasio, Glens Falls Civic Center,
4. Soul Stew Revival with Luther Dickinson, Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA,
5. SuperJam (Ben Harper, John Paul Jones and ?uestlove), Bonnaroo Music
6. USTORM Benefit, The Park West, Chicago, IL 3/31/07
Tour of the Year
1. Allman Brothers Band/RatDog
2. D.U.M.B.: The Disco Biscuits and Umphrey's McGee
3. Gov't Mule with Grace Potter & The Nocturnals: Mighty High Tour
4. Solid Blues Tour: Mavis Staples, Charlie Musselwhite, The North
Mississippi All-Stars & Joe Krown
5. The String Cheese Incident: Summer
6. Widespread Panic: Fall
Studio Album of the Year
1. Dream: Keller Williams
2. From The Corner To The Block: Galactic
3. 100 Days, 100 Nights: Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
4. Page McConnell: Page McConnell
5. The Conch: moe.
6. The Mix-Up: Beastie Boys
Live Album of the Year
1. Bringing It Home: Bonerama
2. Brothers of a Feather: Live at the Roxy: Chris & Rich Robinson
3. Escaping the Sargasso Sea: Lotus
4. Live at the Murat: Umphrey's McGee
5. Live at Tonic: Marco Benevento
6. Live in the Northeast: Hot Buttered Rum
Song (a composition first appearing on an official release in 2007)
1. "Ah Mary" Grace Potter and The Nocturnals
2. "Cadillac" Keller Williams
3. "Circles" JJ Grey & MOFRO
4. "Heavy Rotation" Page McConnell
5. "Maria" ALO
6. "Telling Sue" Assembly of Dust
DVD of the Year
1. Immagine in Cornice: Picture in a Frame: Pearl Jam
2. JamCam Chronicles: Jam Cruise 5
3. Keep on Marchin': North Mississippi Allstars
4. Progressions: The Disco Biscuits
5. Stranger: Bernie Worrell on Earth
6. Years in Your Ears ...a story of Leftover Salmon
Archival Album of the Year
1. Boston Common, 8-17-71, The Allman Brothers Band
2. Live at Massey Hall 1971, Neil Young
3. Three From The Vault, Grateful Dead
4. Vegas 96, Phish
5. Warren Haynes Presents: The Benefit Concert Volume 2
6. Warts & All 5, moe.
eMusic Download of the Year
1. Cold Turkey 150- Benevento Russo Duo, American Babies, Apollo
Sunshine, Keller Williams and Michael Franti (Relixradio.com)
2. N'awlins Funkmasters 4/29/07, Howlin' Wolf, New Orleans, 4/29/07
3. Music For The Planet: a nugs.net benefit for Rock The Earth (Nugs.net)
4. Phish, "Headphones Jam" (Livephish.com)
5. Tractorbeam, Chameleon Club, Lancaster, PA, 6/26/07
6. Widespread Panic, Driving Songs, Vol. 1, Summer 2007
1. Blue Turtle Seduction
4. One Under
5. Scarecrow Collection
7. The Brew
ABOUT THE JAMMY AWARDS: Critically acclaimed for creating
once-in-a-lifetime collaborations between the likes of John Mayer and
Buddy Guy, Ryan Adams and Phil Lesh, Sinead O’Connor and Burning Spear,
Béla Fleck & the Flecktones with McCoy Tyner and Savion Glover, Travis
Tritt and the Disco Biscuits, and Peter Frampton and Guster, The Jammys
was founded as an alternative to mainstream award shows. The Jammys is a
celebration of the best in live improvisational music performance that
pairs the brightest lights on the jam music scene with stars from the
pop, rock, reggae, gospel and jazz realms.
ABOUT PETER SHAPIRO: Peter Shapiro, co-creator of The Jammys (with
Jambands.com founder Dean Budnick), is the former owner and operator of
the influential New York rock club, Wetlands Preserve. Shapiro is a
filmmaker whose credits include the critically acclaimed U2 3D, the IMAX
concert film All Access and Chick Corea’s Rendezvous in New York DVD box
set. He is also the Executive Producer of the Green Apple Festival,
which will celebrate Earth Day on April 20, 2008 with eight simultaneous
festival events across America.
ABOUT RELIX: Founded in 1974, Relix magazine has for over three decades
been one of the most trusted and respected music magazines in the United
States. Relix is known as the bible of improvisational rock music—-while
also covering everything from folk and blues to reggae, world beat and
electronic music. With a readership of 360,000, Relix is a trusted voice
for the passionate live music fan.
Taylor Guitars ( www.taylorguitars.com) was founded in 1974, and has
evolved from a small venture between co-founders Bob Taylor and Kurt
Listug into the world's most successful and highly regarded manufacturer
of high-end guitars. The company pioneered the use of computer
technology, lasers, and other high-tech tools to craft acoustic guitars
with unparalleled precision and consistency, and its blend of
cutting-edge production and hands-on attention to detail distinguishes
Taylor guitars as some of the most beautiful, easy-to-play, and
musically inspiring acoustic, acoustic/electric and electric guitars in
the world. Based in El Cajon, California, Taylor Guitars employs over
450 people and currently produces over 300 guitars per day in its
state-of-the-art factory. Many of today's most popular musicians
play Taylors, including Dave Matthews, Prince, Taylor Swift, Clint
Black, Jewel, Jason Mraz, Sarah McLachlan, the Goo Goo Dolls, Alan
Jackson, George Strait, Pearl Jam, and Maroon 5.
eMusic ( www.emusic.com) is a specialty digital entertainment retailer
that has been at the forefront of offering MP3 downloads and
customer-friendly prices since its inception in 1998. The company is
focused on serving customers aged 25 and older by offering independent
music and audio books in a universally compatible format at a great
value. It is the world's largest retailer of independent music and the
world's second-largest digital music service after iTunes, with more
than 3.5 million tracks from 27,000 of the world's leading independent
labels and thousands of titles from top audio book publishers. To
super-serve its more than 400,000 customers, eMusic provides
award-winning editorial content, a vibrant online community and
unrivaled music discovery tools. eMusic's subscription-based service
offers free music downloads or one free audio book at sign-up, giving
consumers an inexpensive, low-risk way to explore great new music and
books they wouldn't find otherwise. Based in New York with an office in
London, eMusic is available in the U.S. and all 27 E.U. nations.
eMusic.com Inc. is wholly owned by Dimensional Associates, Inc., the
private equity arm of JDS Capital Management, Inc.